Cottagers & Seasonal Residents

Are you a cottager or seasonal resident and are unsure of what services are provided by the County of Peterborough, the local Townships or our other partners? We have compiled a quick access to information page about services offered by the County and our partners.

If you can't find what you are looking for below try our Partners page or email us at and we will be pleased to assist you.

Some of the services offered by your Local Township include:

Garbage services are provided at the local Township level.

Home Improvements
Building permits are coordinated by the local Township.

Property Taxes
Though property taxes consist of taxation from other levels of government, the local Townships are responsible for the issuance and payment processing of property tax bills.

Animal Services & Licensing
Animal licensing and animal complaints/enforcement should be directed to your local township.

Cavan Monaghan
Municipality of Trent Lakes
North Kawartha
Otonabee-South Monaghan
Selwyn Township

Some of the Services offered by the County of Peterborough include:

Recycling services are provided by the County of Peterborough - click here for more information.

Campgrounds and Cottager Environmental Services Programs

Sign and Entrance Permits on County Roads

Lot Creation (Severances)

Services offered by other Partners:

Where do I get septic tank approvals? Peterborough Public Health
Peterborough Public Health is responsible for issuing all septic approvals. The Health Unit is located at 185 King Street, Peterborough, and can be reached at 705-743-1000 or

Where can I get my well water tested?
Water testing is done at the Provincial Lab located at 99 Hospital Dr., in Peterborough. You must first pick up a water sampler tube, fill (following instructions), and return to the lab. Results are available within a couple of days. The Lab can be reached at 705-743-6811.

Assessment - Who can I call regarding property assessment?
The property assessment office is located at 1477 Lansdowne St. W., Peterborough, and can be reached at 705-743-0330 or

Peterborough Regional Health Centre
The PRHC is committed to providing the best health care possible. For more information about PRHC and their programs & services, click here.

Looking for information on Waterways/Docks/Lockage/Permits?

Lakeland Alliance
The 'Best 1st Call' fact sheet that helps shoreline property owners identify which regulatory agency they need to contact when acquiring permits for projects on their waterfronts.

Trent Severn Waterway
Year after year, the Trent-Severn Waterway, meandering 386 km along central Ontario, continues to create unique experiences. After each spring thaw, the Waterway's historic locks and canals open, linking a passageway so magnificent it has been named "one of the finest interconnected systems of navigation in the world".

Fishing & Hunting Regulations (MNR)

Conservation Authorities:

Otonabee Region Conservation Authority
Kawartha Region Conservation Authority
Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority
Crowe Valley Region Conservation Authority

Other Associations:

Federation of Ontario Cottagers' Associations (FOCA)